Welcome to the FirstChurch Champaign Advent Conspiracy blog.
Each day, we'll add a daily devotion to help you think through the AC Themes: Worship Fully / Spend Less / Give More / Love All. On the right, you can listen to the AC Sermons from the Launch. Also check out the links to all kinds of Advent Resources.

Feel free to click on the "Comment" word at the bottom of each post to leave your own thoughts and ideas.

May Christ be the heart of your Christmas!

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Tuesday Dec. 16 Daily Devotion

Advent Conspiracy Daily Devotion
Spend Less, #3 by Jaron Kamin, Southwest Campus Worship Director

When I was a kid, I could not sleep on Christmas eve. Maybe I’d nod off around 2 am and then wake up at 5:30 and run upstairs to rouse my parents. "Merry Christmas!!", I’d holler, with my little brother in tow. We were so excited. This was the best day of the year. This was the day that we got a load of stuff that we had been wanting. Granted, I don’t think I even heard about Jesus till I was in Junior High, but even then, the big thing on my mind Christmas morning was the presents.

I know I’m not alone. If you spend five minutes in front of a television screen this Christmas season, you will discover that all of the US is totally preoccupied and enamored with all this stuff. There are a few reasons I’m not crazy about all of this, but one reason is that while we are spending all this time on stuff, we are totally missing the awe of Christmas. God made flesh, come to save us from sin and death, and make us whole, and I can’t sleep because I can’t stop thinking about all the goodies I’m going to get in the morning.

It’s interesting. When Jesus showed up as a baby, it wasn’t an event that captured the attention of the world. A very small number of people were aware that it had even happened. Christ came to the world and at that moment, the world was still going about it’s business. That moment when the story of our lives was beginning to be rewritten from one of sorrow and defeat to one of joy and victory, and hardly anyone was paying attention. The question is, has that situation changed? Do we just continue to go about our business?

I would encourage you to take some time in the next week to be silent for a bit. Let the rush for stuff subside and make room in your hearts for the awe of Christmas to sink in. God made flesh, like one of us- for you. Merry Christmas indeed.

Revelation 1:8-"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."

Isaiah 53:2-He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground.He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

Matthew 1:23-"The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel"—which means, "God with us."

No comments: