Welcome to the FirstChurch Champaign Advent Conspiracy blog.
Each day, we'll add a daily devotion to help you think through the AC Themes: Worship Fully / Spend Less / Give More / Love All. On the right, you can listen to the AC Sermons from the Launch. Also check out the links to all kinds of Advent Resources.

Feel free to click on the "Comment" word at the bottom of each post to leave your own thoughts and ideas.

May Christ be the heart of your Christmas!

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Wednesday's Daily Devotion

Advent Conspiracy Daily Devotion
Give More, #3by Rebecca Motley, Director of Administration & Operations
2 Corinthians 8:9, 13-15 For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through
his poverty might become rich.Our desire is not that others might be relieved
while you are hard pressed, but that there might be equality. At the present
time your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will
supply what you need. Then there will be equality, as it is written: "He who
gathered much did not have too much, and he who gathered little did not have too
little."


This letter from Paul in 2 Corinthians was encouraging the church in Macedonia, which was going through a hard economic time, to be generous. This country is certainly in a difficult and precarious time right now. Although Champaign-Urbana, in general, is on a bit surer footing than some other areas, we are all affected.

Every time I start to think about my insecurities regarding my family’s financial future, I try to remember that there are those, in our own community and throughout the world, who don’t have the basics of food and water. This year, we are asking you to reflect on your needs vs. your wants and try to give up something you want so that others might have something they need.

I am giving up my $2.16 latte special each week. It’s honestly not much of a sacrifice to me and next year, I hope to do better. What are you doing?

Dear Lord, your children are hungry and thirsty and I have plenty. Please keep nudging me to be generous with my resources. Thank you.

No comments: